Teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Macca the Alpaca will love this post. It includes the book summary, lesson ideas, and resource recommendations. You’ll find everything you need for an engaging read aloud lesson based on this story. It will save you lots of time!
With themes of teasing, bullying, and compassion, this Macca the Alpaca picture book by Matt Cosgrove is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will become one of your favorites too! Learn more about it below!
Engage Your Students with Macca the Alpaca Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Macca the Alpaca. You can find it below!
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book. This book lends itself to many important teaching points.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Macca the Alpaca reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
MACCA THE ALPACA SUMMARY
You are going to love this book! Macca the Alpaca is about an alpaca named Macca. He enjoys splashing, cuddling, and playing. His days are filled with laughter and glee. That was true until one day a llama comes. The llama, Harmer, quickly brings drama. He picks on Macca. The two compete and Macca proves the importance of kindness and wit. Your students will love this listening to this story!
MACCA THE ALPACA LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide. These make lesson planning quick and easy! They also include printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Macca the Alpaca, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you. Check out the teaching points and resources below!
This book is great for teaching many important topics. Below are the ones it best lends itself to teaching.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Macca the Alpaca reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing characters
- analyzing illustrations
- making connections
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
MACCA THE ALPACA ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Macca the Alpaca?
- Lexile® Measure: 530L
- Guided Reading Level: J
- DRA Level: 16 – 18
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.9
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Matt Cosgrove.
What genre is Macca the Alpaca?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 24 pages long.