Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Little Owl’s Night will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of friendship and mindfulness, this Little Owl’s Night picture book by Divya Spinivasan is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Little Owl’s Night Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Little Owl’s Night. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Little Owl’s Night reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
LITTLE OWL'S NIGHT SUMMARY
The story Little Owl’s Night is about a character named Little Owl who ventures out in the forest at nighttime. Little Owl comes across many different animals while traveling through the forest. Some are nocturnal and awake with him and others are fast asleep.
Little Owl visits his various friends and heads home when nighttime starts to end. He sees his mom when he gets home and she tells him the story of how nighttime ends. Little Owl falls fast asleep as he listens to his mother’s words and daytime begins.
LITTLE OWL’S NIGHT LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Little Owl’s Night, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Little Owl’s Night reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing setting
- making connections
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- action verbs
- compound words
LITTLE OWL’S NIGHT ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Little Owl’s Night?
- Lexile® Measure: AD480L
- Guided Reading Level: L
- DRA Level: 20-24
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 1.9
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Divya Spinivasan.
What genre is Little Owl’s Night?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 34 pages long.