Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Little Blue Truck will love this post.
With themes of friendship and kindness, this Little Blue Truck picture book by Alice Schertle is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. You and your students will love it too!
Engage Your Students with Little Blue Truck Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Little Blue Truck.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Little Blue Truck reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
LITTLE BLUE TRUCK SUMMARY
Little Blue Truck had a horn that was one of the friendliest sounds you could hear. As he drove down the road he honked his horn at all the animals he would pass. Big Green Toad, Sheep, and Cow all said hello back.
When the Dump came driving along the road, he didn’t beep his horn hello to anyone. He thought he had too many important things to do! Suddenly, the Dump swerved to get out of the way of a puddle and he found himself stuck in the mud. He beeped and cried for help but nobody came.
Soon Little Blue Truck came to help, but found himself stuck too! When Little Blue Truck called for help, all of the animals came running. Together, they all pushed and pushed until the trucks came free. The Dump realized when you have friends you are there to help one another.
LITTLE BLUE TRUCK LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Little Blue Truck, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Little Blue Truck reading comprehension questions focus on:
- making inferences
- analyzing character
- plot | problem – solution
- identifying theme | message | moral
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- action verbs
LITTLE BLUE TRUCK ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Little Blue Truck?
- Lexile® Measure: AD390L
- Guided Reading Level: H
- DRA Level: 14
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.2
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Alice Schertle. It was illustrated by Jill McElmurry.
What genre is Little Blue Truck?
It is a fantasy book. You may want to check out our genre activities or read our blog post, How to Teach Genre to Elementary Students.
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.