Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Laxmi’s Mooch will love this post. It includes resource recommendations, teaching ideas, and information about the book.
With themes of self-esteem and respecting different cultures, this Laxmi’s Mooch picture book by Shelly Anand is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will quickly become one of your favorites too!
Engage Your Students with Laxmi’s Mooch Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Laxmi’s Mooch.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Laxmi’s Mooch reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
LAXMI'S MOOCH SUMMARY
Laxmi never gave much thought to the hair above her lip. That is, until when pretend playing with her friends, they said she should be a cat. Laxmi wanted to be a chicken, not a cat, but her friends said she had the whiskers for it. She ran home and asked her parents for answers.
This story highlights empathy, kindness, and the all-important discussion around different different cultural aspects. Join Laxmi as she learns how all people are different, and that having hair is normal!
LAXMI’S MOOCH LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Laxmi’s Mooch, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Laxmi’s Mooch reading comprehension questions focus on:
- summarize / retell
- analyzing character
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- self esteem
- understanding and respecting cultures
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- quotation marks
LAXMI’S MOOCH ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Laxmi’s Mooch?
- Lexile® Measure: N/A
- Guided Reading Level: N/A
- DRA Level: N/A
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): N/A
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Shelly Anand. It was illustrated by Nabi H. Ali.
What genre is Laxmi’s Mooch?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.