Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Last Stop On Market Street will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of kindness and being respectful, this Last Stop On Market Street picture book by Matt de la Peña is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Last Stop On Market Street Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Last Stop On Market Street. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Last Stop On Market Street reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
LAST STOP ON MARKET SREET SUMMARY
CJ and his Nana ride bus to get around their town. CJ enjoys his bus ride on most days. He does start to question his Nana about why they have to ride the bus, wait in the rain, why they do not have a car, and why they always need to visit with the passengers on the bus.
CJ asks many questions and Nana is always happy to answer him with an honest response. He wondered how his Nan always found beautiful where he never even thought to look. CJ realizes that his Nana helps him see the beauty in all they do and he finally realizes that Nana knows best!
LAST STOP ON MARKET SREET LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Last Stop On Market Street, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Last Stop On Market Street reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing illustrations
- analyzing character
- point of view
- making connections
- identifying the main idea
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- being respectful
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- proper nouns
- verb tense
LAST STOP ON MARKET SREET ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Last Stop On Market Street?
- Lexile® Measure: AD610L
- Guided Reading Level: O
- DRA Level: 30-34
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3.3-3.5
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Matt de la Peña. It was illustrated by Christian Robinson.
What genre is Last Stop On Market Street?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.