Teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Kitten’s First Full Moon will love this post. It includes tons of helpful ideas and information for elementary teachers!
With a theme of showing your best effort this Kitten’s First Full Moon picture book by Kevin Henkes is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms.
Engage Your Students with Kitten’s First Full Moon Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Kitten’s First Full Moon.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Kitten’s First Full Moon reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
KITTEN'S FIRST FULL MOON SUMMARY
It’s Kitten’s first time seeing the full moon, and she thinks it is a bowl of milk in the sky! She tries sticking out her tongue to lick the milk, but ends up with a bug on her tongue. Next, she tries to leap into the air and get the milk, but falls on the ground. Kitten doesn’t give up and continues trying to get closer to the giant bowl of milk. She even climbs a tree hoping to get closer.
Throughout the book Kitten tries different ways to get to the milk. After falling into the pond, Kitten heads home all wet. There, she finds a bowl of milk waiting for her.
Kevin Henkes’ book Kitten’s First Full Moon tells the sweet story of a kitten who does not give up on her goal. The illustrations are in black and white, which beautifully illustrates the darkness of night. This story is sure to be a favorite of students!
KITTEN’S FIRST FULL MOON LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Kitten’s First Full Moon, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Kitten’s First Full Moon reading comprehension questions focus on:
- making inferences
- summarize / retell
- analyzing setting
- plot | problem – solution
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- best effort
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- action verbs
KITTEN’S FIRST FULL MOON ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Kitten’s First Full Moon?
- Lexile® Measure: 360L
- Guided Reading Level: I
- DRA Level: 16
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2-2.1
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Kevin Henkes.
What genre is Kitten’s First Full Moon?
It is an adventure book. You may want to check out our genre activities or read our blog post, How to Teach Genre to Elementary Students.
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.