If you are a teacher looking for lesson plans and activities for Imogene’s Antlers, then you found the right place! This post includes teaching ideas, resource recommendations, and more. You will have what you need to plan your next read aloud. It will also save you lots of time doing so!
With themes of flexibility and problem solving, this Imogene’s Antlers picture book by David Small is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. You and your students will love this book too. Learn more about it below!
Engage Your Students with Imogene’s Antlers Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Imogene’s Antlers. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple. It includes Imogene’s Antlers reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
IMOGENE'S ANTLERS SUMMARY
Little Imogene woke up with antlers on her head. The doctor, the school principal, and the family cannot figure out why! Her mom faints. Her brother decides she may be a type of a miniature elk. It is a very chaotic scene! The maid and cook find ways to help Imogene laugh and feel more comfortable. They dry the laundry on her new accessory. They hang donuts too! When Imogene wakes up the next morning, she no longer has antlers. Her family is relieved. That’s true until another unique feature becomes apparent! Your students will get a kick out of this story!
IMOGENE’S ANTLERS LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide. These make lesson planning quick and easy! They also include printable worksheets and digital resources. These cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Imogene’s Antlers, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you. We make it easy!
We found this book was especially good at teaching specific topics. Check out the full list of teaching points below!
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Imogene’s Antlers reading comprehension questions focus on:
- making inferences
- ask and answer questions
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- problem solving
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- past tense verbs
IMOGENE’S ANTLERS ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Imogene’s Antlers?
- Lexile® Measure: AD560L
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by David Small.
What genre is Imogene’s Antlers?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.