Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for I Found a Kitty will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of compassion and problem solving, this I Found a Kitty picture book by Troy Cummings is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with I Found a Kitty Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of I Found a Kitty. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with I Found a Kitty reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
I FOUND A KITTY SUMMARY
The beloved character Arfy from the popular story Can I Be Your Dog? is back and ready to help a new friend find a home.
One day, Arfy goes out to play and finds a kitten all alone. Arfy and the kitten, Scampers, write letters to many different people asking if they will take Scampers in their house. They have a hard time finding the best fit for Scampers as people keep writing back that they can’t keep him.
Finally, Scampers and Arfy put their heads together and find the best home for Scampers where he is loved and gets to do all the fun things he likes at Butternut Nursing Home.
I FOUND A KITTY LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for I Found a Kitty, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based I Found a Kitty reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing illustrations
- making predictions
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- problem solving
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- common and proper nouns
- compound words
I FOUND A KITTY ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for I Found a Kitty?
- Lexile® Measure: AD610L
- Guided Reading Level: O
- DRA Level: 30-34
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 3.3-3.5
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Troy Cummings. It was illustrated by Troy Cummings.
What genre is I Found a Kitty?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.