Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Hug It Out will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of conflict, resolution sharing and taking turns, this Hug It Out picture book by Louis Thomas is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Hug It Out Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Hug It Out. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Hug It Out reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
HUG IT OUT SUMMARY
Woody and Annie are siblings who keep arguing! Their mother has finally had it and tells them that from now on whenever they argue, they have to hug it out. Woody and Annie are not thrilled with this new punishment. Whenever they start to fight and shout, their mother reminds them to hug it out.
Eventually, the two get tired of hugging. They decide to take some space from one another. As they play with their toys separately, something happens. Woody and Annie actually start to miss each other, and hugging! After talking, they decide to call for their mother who tells them to hug it out.
HUG IT OUT LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Hug It Out, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Hug It Out reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing illustrations
- making connections
- plot (problem and solution)
- identifying theme message or moral
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- taking turns
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
HUG IT OUT ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Hug It Out?
- Lexile® Measure: 325
- Guided Reading Level: J
- DRA Level: 16
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 1.9
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Louis Thomas. It was illustrated by Louis Thomas.
What genre is Hug It Out ?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.