Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for How to Catch a Leprechaun will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With a theme of teasing, this How to Catch a Leprechaun picture book by Adam Wallace is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with How to Catch a Leprechaun Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of How to Catch a Leprechaun. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with How to Catch a Leprechaun reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
HOW TO CATCH A LEPRECHAUN SUMMARY
It is almost St. Patrick’s day and a leprechaun is out and about at night. He visits many different homes where children have designed traps in hope of catching a leprechaun. At each house he visits, the leprechaun is able to get away! None of the traps are good enough to catch him. During his visit to some of the houses, the leprechaun takes time to play tricks on the children. He paints a toilet green and puts someone’s stinky sneakers in soapy water!
HOW TO CATCH A LEPRECHAUN LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for How to Catch a Leprechaun, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based How to Catch a Leprechaun reading comprehension questions focus on:
- point of view
- analyzing illustrations
- making connections
- identify the main idea
- rhyme, rhythm and repetition
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
HOW TO CATCH A LEPRECHAUN ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for How to Catch a Leprechaun?
- Lexile® Measure: AD500L
- Guided Reading Level: N
- DRA Level: 24
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.7
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Adam Wallace. It was illustrated by Andy Elkerton.
What genre is How to Catch a Leprechaun?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.