Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Fatima’s Great Outdoors will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of teasing, individuality and resiliency, this Fatima’s Great Outdoors picture book by Ambreen Tariq is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Fatima’s Great Outdoors Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Fatima’s Great Outdoors. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Fatima’s Great Outdoors reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
FATIMA'S GREAT OUTDOORS SUMMARY
Fatima’s family had moved from India to the United States. While her sister talked about all of her successes, Fatima struggled with school and friends.
One weekend, Fatima’s family picked them up from school and tried a new American pastime: camping! They drove to a state park, built their tent, cooked dinner, and slept under the stars. In the morning, they even got to have beef bacon and build a fire! Fatima is sad to go home, as she knows that her family will be busy again working two jobs. She does, however, get to share her adventure with her class on Show-and-Tell day!
This story beautifully intertwines Fatima’s Indian family cultures, backgrounds, and challenges into this camping story.
FATIMA’S GREAT OUTDOORS LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Fatima’s Great Outdoors, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Fatima’s Great Outdoors reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- identifying theme, message, moral
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- action verbs
- quotation marks
- time order words
FATIMA’S GREAT OUTDOORS ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Fatima’s Great Outdoors?
- Lexile® Measure: AD740L
- Guided Reading Level: Q-R
- DRA Level: 38-40
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 4.3-4.5
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Ambreen Tariq. It was illustrated by Stevie Lewis.
What genre is Fatima’s Great Outdoors?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.