Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Dreamers will love this post. It includes tons of helpful information about the book and recommends quality teaching resources. This post will save you lots of time!
With themes of perseverance and transitions, this Dreamers picture book by Yuyi Morales is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. This story will become one of your favorite children’s books about the library. Your students will love it too!
Engage Your Students with Dreamers Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Dreamers. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Dreamers reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
Dreamers tells the story of a mother who immigrated to a new home with her young child. They pack a backpack full of gifts and make the journey there. It is challenging for them at first. The people in the new country speak a different language. It is difficult for them to understand and they make a lot of mistakes.
One day, the two discover a library. By checking out books at the library, they start to learn a new language. Overtime, they are able to write and speak the language. They never gave up on their dream of becoming something greater, something they haven’t imagined yet.
Dreamers is a story of perseverance and dreaming for a better life.
DREAMERS LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy. They also include printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Dreamers, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Dreamers reading comprehension questions focus on:
- summarize / retell
- analyzing illustrations
- plot | problem – solution
- identify the main idea
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- verb tense
- irregular verbs
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Dreamers?
- Lexile® Measure: AD480L
- Guided Reading Level: M
- DRA Level: 20 – 24
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.6
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Yuyi Morales.
What genre is Dreamers?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.