Teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for the book Crazy Hair Day will love this post. It includes teaching ideas and helpful information about the book.
With themes of teasing, self-esteem and community, this Crazy Hair Day picture book by Barney Saltzberg is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It is sure to be a big hit in your classroom too!
Engage Your Students with Crazy Hair Day Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Crazy Hair Day.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Crazy Hair Day reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
CRAZY HAIR DAY SUMMARY
There is no better feeling than waking up and knowing it is a special day! Stanley was thrilled to get ready for Crazy Hair Day. His mom put gel in his hair, spiked it, and even dyed it blue and orange. When Stanley walked into school, he quickly realized that Crazy Hair Day was next week. Even worse… today was Class Picture Day! Running and hiding in the bathroom, Stanley (with the help of his friends) gets the courage to join his class for the picture.
This story can facilitate lessons in friendship, teasing, and the importance of a sense of community. Join Stanley and his classmates on an adventure they will never forget!
CRAZY HAIR DAY LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Crazy Hair Day, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Crazy Hair Day reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- making connections
- ask and answer questions
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- sense of community
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- base words
- quotation marks
CRAZY HAIR DAY ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Crazy Hair Day?
- Lexile® Measure: AD560L
- Guided Reading Level: L
- DRA Level: 20 – 24
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.7
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Barney Saltzberg.
What genre is Crazy Hair Day?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.