Teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs will love this post. It includes the book’s summary, teaching ideas, resource recommendations, and more!
With themes of transitions and problem solving, this Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs picture book by Judi Barrett is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. Your elementary students will love it too!
Engage Your Students with Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS SUMMARY
It was a typical Saturday morning: the children were sitting at the kitchen table, mom was squeezing oranges, and grandpa was cooking breakfast. Then, at bedtime, grandpa told a tall tale bedtime story, inspired by the pancake breakfast…
In the town of Chewandswallow, there was a main street, a school, and lots of pets. But, there were no food stores. They did not need it! The weather brought breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All meals came from the sky. Life in the town was wonderful, that is, until the weather took a turn for the worse.
Join Judi Barrett on an adventure filled with laughs, problem solving, and flexibility with grandpa and the people of Chewandswallow!
CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing illustrations
- making connections
- ask and answer questions
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- problem solving
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- time order words
CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs?
- Lexile® Measure: 730L
- Guided Reading Level: M
- DRA Level: 20-24
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 4.3
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Judi Barrett. It was illustrated by Ron Barrett.
What genre is Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.