Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Clever Tom and the Leprechaun will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With a problem solving theme, this Clever Tom and the Leprechaun picture book by Linda Shute is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Clever Tom and the Leprechaun Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Clever Tom and the Leprechaun. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Clever Tom and the Leprechaun reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
CLEVER TOM AND THE LEPRECHAUN SUMMARY
While out for a walk, Tom hears tapping coming from a bush. He is surprised to find a leprechaun, and wants his gold! Although the leprechaun tries to trick Tom to get away, Tom is able to catch him. The leprechaun leads Tom to a field of weeds where he buried his gold. Tom must go and get his shovel, and worries he won’t remember which bush the gold is under. He ties a ribbon around the bush and the leprechaun promises not to take it off. When Tom returns, he finds every bush in the field has a red ribbon. He spends all night digging for the gold and cannot find it.
Years later, Tom loves to tell the story of how he almost got the leprechaun’s gold. From that day on, he carried his shovel with him just in case he were to catch the leprechaun again.
CLEVER TOM AND THE LEPRECHAUN LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Clever Tom and the Leprechaun, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Clever Tom and the Leprechaun reading comprehension questions focus on:
- making predictions
- analyzing character
- analyzing setting
- analyzing illustrations
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
- problem solving
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- action verbs
- time order words
CLEVER TOM AND THE LEPRECHAUN ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Clever Tom and the Leprechaun?
- Lexile® Measure: AD760L
- Guided Reading Level: R – S
- DRA Level: 40 – 42
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 4.5-4.7
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written and illustrated by Linda Shute..
What genre is Clever Tom and the Leprechaun?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.