Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for Christmas Wombat will find this post helpful. It includes resource recommendations, free teaching ideas, and information about the book. You’ll have everything you need to deliver engaging interactive read aloud lessons based on this story.
With themes of honesty and perseverance, this Christmas Wombat picture book by Jackie French is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. It will be a big hit in your classroom too! Learn more about this book below!
Engage Your Students with Christmas Wombat Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of Christmas Wombat. You can find it in the section below.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this children’s book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with Christmas Wombat reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
CHRISTMAS WOMBAT SUMMARY
The book, Christmas Wombat, is a short and funny story told from the perspective of a wombat. In the book, the wombat is describing his day, almost like a journal. He comes across some carrots and excitedly eats them. However there are some strange creatures, Santa’s reindeer, eating his carrots! The wombat continues to follow Santa and the reindeer, eating all of the reindeer’s carrots. He has never seen so many carrots in his life! By the time he returns home is he too full to eat the delicious grass he sees.
Students will love this funny story about a wombat that thinks the reindeer’s carrots are for him!
CHRISTMAS WOMBAT LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for Christmas Wombat, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based Christmas Wombat reading comprehension questions focus on:
- point of view
- analyzing character
- ask and answer questions
- identify the main idea
- cause and effect
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- verb tense
- action verb
CHRISTMAS WOMBAT ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the reading levels for Christmas Wombat?
- Lexile® Measure: 200
- Guided Reading Level: F
- DRA Level: 10
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 1.5
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Jackie French. It was illustrated by Bruce Whatley.
What genre is Christmas Wombat?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 32 pages long.