Elementary teachers looking for lesson plans and activities for A Hat for Mrs. Goldman will love this post. It includes the book’s summary and teaching ideas, as well as suggests resources to use with students.
With themes of kindness, compassion and perseverance, this A Hat for Mrs. Goldman picture book by Michelle Edwards is a favorite in 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms.
Engage Your Students with A Hat for Mrs. Goldman Lesson Plans & Activities in 3 Easy Steps:
- Read a summary of A Hat for Mrs. Goldman.
- Check out the teaching ideas for reading comprehension strategies, grammar topics and social emotional learning skills that can be taught using this childrens’ book.
- Download the book companion to make lesson planning simple with A Hat for Mrs. Goldman reading comprehension questions, writing prompts, teaching ideas & no-prep extension activities.
A HAT FOR MRS. GOLDMAN SUMMARY
The story A Hat for Mrs. Goldman is about Mrs. Goldman and Sophia. Mrs. Goldman knits hats for people many people and she teaches Sophia how to knit and add pom-poms to the hats. Sophia loves spending time with Mrs. Goldman.
One day, Sophia and Mrs. Goldman walk Mrs. Goldman’s dog in the cold winter weather and Sophia notices that Mrs. Goldman doesn’t have a hat to wear. Mrs. Goldman tells Sophia that she gave her hat to Mrs. Chen. Sophia decides that she will make Mrs. Goldman a hat.
Sophia works very hard on the hat over many days. When she finishes, she notice big holes in it and uses pom-poms to cover the holes. She surprises Mrs. Goldman with the hat and Mrs. Goldman loves it.
A HAT FOR MRS. GOLDMAN LESSON PLAN IDEAS
Each of our 400+ Starts With a Story book companions come with a teacher’s guide to make lesson planning quick and easy, printable worksheets and digital resources that cover ALL of the standards-based reading comprehension skills.
When it comes to writing lesson plans and finding activities for A Hat for Mrs. Goldman, we’ve already done all of the heavy lifting for you.
We found this book was especially good at teaching the topics listed below.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS
The text-based A Hat for Mrs. Goldman reading comprehension questions focus on:
- analyzing character
- identifying theme i message i moral
- point of view
- author’s purpose
LITERATURE-BASED SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING LESSONS
We found this story to be a great SEL picture book to promote:
GRAMMAR, VOCABULARY & WORD STUDY
- common and proper nouns
- action verbs
A HAT FOR MRS. GOLDMAN ACTIVITIES
You’ll receive all of the following resources aligned to the story:
- comprehension questions
- 30 writing prompts with themed paper
- vocabulary activities
- word study print & go activities
- ideas for grammar lessons with focus sentence printables
- social emotional learning discussion topics
- graphic organizers to target specific comprehension skills and strategies
YOU HAVE 2 OPTIONS! WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO PURCHASE THIS BOOK COMPANION?
BOOK INFO FOR ELEMENTARY TEACHERS
What are the A Hat for Mrs. Goldman reading levels?
- Lexile® Measure: 520L
- Guided Reading Level: L
- DRA Level: 28
- Accelerated Reader Level (ARC): 2.9
Who is the author? Who is the illustrator?
The book was written by Michelle Edwards. It was illustrated by G. Brian Karas.
What genre is A Hat for Mrs. Goldman?
How many pages are in the book?
The story is 40 pages long.